Sunday, June 24, 2018

paucity of raptors

This post is not scientific because it is only about me and my observations, or lack of observations. For many weeks I have been observing the sky, daily and throughout the day, yet I realize that I am only one person and can only be in one place at any particular time.

Here are the raptors that are in short supply- eagles, ospreys, Red-tailed hawks, turkey vultures, and Northern Goshawks. I am not a birder. I am a hawk watcher, and I’m in the field (the sky every day) even though I am traveling on the highway at 60 mph. or winding down a steep country road at 15 mph., or even from inside my house as I am often looking into the sky.

Recently, over the last 2 months or more, my home base is Anacortes, I have travelled to Stanwood and the Arlington area twice, that also means Fir Island Road and Conway, and twice toward Samish Flats.

Paucity means zero Peregrine falcons in flight. The most Turkey Vultures observed were 3 and then 30 minutes later another three. On one drive there were some (three) perched Red-tailed hawks. The only raptors I record or photograph are Golden Eagles and goshawks, sometimes I will record Sharp-shinned hawks, because, for me, they are a very uncommon species.

Here are my recent sightings, from my field notes: Zero Merlin this year; zero Sharp-shinned hawks; zero Peregrine falcons. I just today observed the 2 Osprey nests, downtown Anacortes. Zero activity at the one nest on the metal tower, and mature Osprey with one chick or more, at the second tower.
The sighting lasted about about one minute. The location is very near The Market, which is near Safeway. Then it was over to the March Point Refinery- with one perched Red-tailed hawk. As an aside- 23 White Pelicans soaring over Whitmarsh Junction which is the South-east corner of the refinery property.

I often, more than once a day pay attention to the Tweeters birding listserve. It seems that raptors are not being observed, as related to organized field trips or to the tally counts of an individual or two.

Be water- my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment