Sunday, May 3, 2020

Goshawks Lycoming County

The Goshawks of Lycoming County Pennsylvania: The first Goshawk (NG) I observed was in Upper Black Eddy, PA. It was in winter, probably 1993. I was standing on the canal. It was very damp and very foggy. The female NG was circling overhead in tight circles, with the wings flat and straight out to the sides. My impression was— Where is the ferocity of this bird? Where is the aggressiveness of this hawk? Therefore, you can understand that I had misinterpreted what I had read in the field guides. The second sighting (of a female NG) was  in a later season with warmer conditions and bright sun. The location: Tinicum Park, Erwinna, PA. A 126 acre park— Playgrounds, picnicking, hiking, ball fields, boating, fishing, ice fishing. I mention these amenities because NG will take an interest in these areas, but will not often drop down into these areas. The NG was soaring and flapping at about 175 feet altitude. This park is five miles down river from Upper Black Eddy.

In July 1996, we moved to Williamsport, Pa., (WMPT). We lived on a steep hillside.There were 10 large buildings. I am an erstwhile resident of WMPT and the Lycoming Audubon Society. 

From the git-go, I started observing NG in the area. The first was as driving through the small next- town over, Montoursville. The NG was low over the buildings and ripping away. Then, two NG at Rose Valley, far away and going away at about 200 feet altitude. 

At State College, downtown was a perched immature female. Soaring over Bald Eagle State Park was a NG.

Why am I trying to reach the birders of North Central Pa., now? Why not ten years ago? That would be 2010. Because it does not matter. For one thing, I never carried a camera.I certainly informed the proper people. At at least 2 Audubon meetings I informed of my NG sightings. I gave sensitive information to Mike Kuriga, master falconer and Audubon member. Also, sent sensitive info to biologist member of Audubon and to Director of PA Fish and Game. Mike Kuriga did tell me there are five or six nesting sites of NG near WMPT. This web site is not for many birders, only a select few. Birders are not hawk watchers, many of them will never become hawk watchers. It is too much of another discipline, too much of a leap of faith. Therefore, if this notice were presented in 2025, it still would not matter. It would have the same effect as if presented in 2050.

So here are more of my sightings and information and at the end will be one of my strategies for finding and observing NG, by using abrupt weather changes: Over Wall Mart — Montoursville.
Seldom did I go to South WMPT. One NG in the sky at the Game Range, 252. It was probably September 1997 with my new truck. I pulled in biologist Ed Reish driveway in Farregut. I was scanning the corn fields across the street. Two NG were ripping around low over the corn stalks. Sometimes, I would bird with Dick Plotz, a resident of the complex. More than once, I called a NG. One NG was perched close to my apt. door. Dick and I took a ride to north NJ. We hiked up Raccoon Ridge to be with the NJ Audubon Society hawk watch. There was a NG up high and ripping away, probably in migration. Pete Bacinski made the call. While driving to Montour Preserve a NG cut in front of my car. When I arrived at the preserve a NG was dropping down into the preserve. Near the preserve on another day, in Watsontown, a NG in the sky. I went to the office of the preserve to talk to biologist Jon Beam. On another day, I went to talk with him. Jon told me; He was driving to lunch (or diner) when he observed a raptor in a field. He glassed the hawk. It was a Goshawk.

On a field trip with Lycoming Audubon, with field trip leader Doug Gross, biologist; The area was west of Rickett’s Glen in the hillsides. As I was trying to find my way up into the mountainside to the parking area, a male NG was circling at about 150 feet altitude. Doug told me NG were nesting in Rickett’s Glen. We were standing around in a group, when we noticed what was probably a Merlin perched, about 300 yards away. I left the group to discover that the hawk was a Merlin. As I started back toward the group, a male NG was ripping through over the group. I did ask if anyone had observed the hawk that cut through. I did already know the answer, as no one was pointing upward or looking upward. We were walking in an open field, with a small, low copse. A male NG flew out, close to my position. When the group came together, I asked Doug if he observed the NG come out of the  brush. He did not. On his side of the brush he observed a Cooper’s Hawk fly out. So, I did not see his hawk and he did not observe my hawk.

In the suburbs of WMPT, Doug’s father and I were birding. We observed a NG in flight.


In the Lycoming Society Newsletter was a notice that I was to be in a recreational field near the airport and would be hawking and talk about my NG sightings. A official female member did stop by briefly. Ron Beach, another ranking member did stop by. Then a man from Antes Fort stopped by. We were standing there possibly 20 minutes when he was leaving the area and just about to get into his car, about 200 yards away, when I started yelling and pointing upward. There was a male NG well overhead.

Here is an interesting sighting. At Short Park was a mature NG hunting from the guard rail, at the intersection. So then I did something that made no sense. But, It was a normal instinct. I went back to my apartment, up the steep hill, up the stairs to my floor. I retrieved my scope and tripod, went back to park. I set the tripod. The hawk was still there! Sitting on the stop sign. The only take away was that the hawk had massive, powerful- looking legs. So, it is possible, that if I would have not departed the area, there may have been other NG coming into this area. So, what if the scoping showed that the hawk was leg banded. To me this is of little interest. I certainly was not close enough, on purpose, to read any numbers which would be on the band. Again, obtaining the scope had zero meaning. Then again, why not retrieve my camera? The hawk was not banded. The last NG I observed was west of town at the UPS facility. A female NG was circling over the hillside. It was probably September 1998, as I was preparing to leave Pa. and go on the road (for13 years). I never did return to North Central Pa. I certainly miss Pennsylvania.

I am very concerned, if I should write this, but— you people in Williamsport, do not know what you are missing.

My next posting will be of using abrupt weather changes in order to find and observe Goshawks. Be well and be happy. NB.


No comments:

Post a Comment