Friday, December 20, 2019

Goshawks Anacortes Part 2

I will not go into any of my many sightings of NG in Anacortes. If it is boring to me it is probably boring to you. The only rare sightings in Anacortes— red male and female NG. That is NG with red vermiculation of chest, belly and under wing coverts. Also, a Clay-colored sparrow. The bird was at my feet, pecking at gravel and small weeds.
Anacortes is a small town with a large, land area; Including two marinas, and probably the largest community forest in the United States. 

The NG I have observed are not in migration. I am sure NG are nesting in Anacortes. I have observed them in all areas of the town limits and just outside the town limits. Nearly always in flight.

This information may help you. East of Anacortes is Mount Vernon and Burlington. I have never observed a NG in the sky over these two towns or areas. I have a feeling: If NG are nesting in the mountains of Blanchard and Alger, which is well east of Anacortes and North of Burlington, and they probably are nesting in these mountains; The goshawks of Blanchard Mountain, might drop down into the Bay View area to meet with the NG of Anacortes. This will facilitate the diversity of the gene pool. But, I only have one indication of  one NG coming over the ridge line of Anacortes and heading over Fidalgo Bay. The next bay over is Padilla Bay. Then you run into the western side of Bay View. So, the question is ; Where are the goshawks of Bay View (male and female) coming from?

I received one e-mail from a resident of Anacortes, suggesting that NG are not a rare species in Anacortes. NB.

No comments:

Post a Comment