Tuesday, January 14, 2020

What bird

There is a bird or raptor in the sky, quite deep, at altitude of about 200 feet. The bird might be tail on or head on. The wings have zero dihedral and are flat and stiff. The wings appear to be long. So I am thinking, here on Puget Sound, that the bird is a hawk, and probably a goshawk and probably female. But, the bird could be also a Peregrine Falcon or a Raven. The color appears to be dark. I want the bird to turn so to get a look at the tail length. If the tail is long, then it is not a Raven. When the hawk flaps, I might get a look at the wing beats and the structure of the wing. So now, within seconds, I might be able to nail the species.

I say that the hawk is probably a female NG because often the female will take to the sky. The male will not often take to the sky; usually to be with the female. This is my unscientific thinking: There are many more female NG than male NG. Of course, if male NG are at low altitude or hanging in the tree tops, I will miss those sightings. I am sure there are many more female Cooper’s hawks then there are male Cooper’s. And many more female Sharp- shinned hawks than the male Sharpie. Also, there are many more female Harriers than male Harriers. These are my conjectures because— I age and sex accipiters and Harriers and Ospreys.

Often the the female NG will take to the sky with a companion and the partner will be another female NG. When the nesting- mating season starts, then the female will hook-up with a male.NB.

No comments:

Post a Comment