Saturday, December 12, 2020

Goshawk and photo- Skagit Regional Airport

 A  Goshawk, probably female, cut across my path near the highway. The hawk was at 100 feet elevation and went to perch. One photo was taken. The sun was toward the front and side of the hawk. Therefore, most “field marks” and “details” are lacking. However, I will go against my scripture and analyze this photograph for you.

The photo is of an accipiter. The tail- tip is wedge shaped. William Clark writes that a goshawk has a wedge shaped tail - tip.This might be true in many cases but not all cases. So, how we turn an  unsubstantial factor into a substantial factor? How about — The chance of you observing a Cooper’s Hawk or a Sharp- shinned Hawk with a wedge shaped tail is very slim! It is my understanding that Goshawks have a wide or broad tail when completely folded. To me this photograph does not show a broad tail. It could be that the body feathers were fluffed, therefore the tail width would not appear broad. The temperature was about 45 degrees with wind at about 2 miles per hour.

To wrap up this small part of my philosophy of raptor- photo analysis: This photo is of a goshawk only because of the wedge shaped tail. In other words, if this photo did not present the distinct tail tip, then I would call this photograph: An Accipiter. Much more to say on: Why I do not care to analyze my many photos of Goshawks in Tucson, Apache Junction, AZ. And N. Whidbey Island and Anacortes. And why I do not care to analyze your photos for you. In due time, I will place the photo on the posting. NB.

No comments:

Post a Comment