Tuesday, September 29, 2020

I am Suspicious

This post is about photographs and photographers. It does not pertain specifically to birding or hawking. But, in this case it does. I am referring to the accipiter photograph on Whatbird, Sept. 27 2020, under the title Cooper’s Hawk or Sharp shinned Hawk. This photo, taken in South Florida was an accipiter, but not a Cooper’s Hawk. I am quite sure the accipiter is female,  because of the long wings. On this post, I will not relate why It is a NG. On my next post, I will analyze the photo.

Here are the questions I ask. 1– Who is the photographer. In other words, what is his personality, his character. 2- What was his motive for taking the photo. 3- What type of camera. What type of lens. 4- What was the altitude of the hawk. 5- what was the lapsed time of observation. 6- How was the hawk acting, or behaving. 6- What was the SIZE of the hawk.

Now, a general question to experienced hawk watchers and to scientists. What is the chance of observing an immature accipiter with a distinct white eye- line. What is the chance of observing an immature Goshawk with a facial pattern which is immature in texture, and containing a prominent white eye- line. NB.

No comments:

Post a Comment