Saturday, April 7, 2018

Dead raptors

All of these sightings were in Anacortes except for the owl at Deception Pass. A smashed Red-tail hawk on the highway between Anacortes and Burlington. Sometimes I stop for smashed raptors. At a big gravel parking lot at Sky Line Marina, an old smashed skin of a mature Cooper’s hawk. At Saint Mary’s Church, an immature female Cooper’s hawk. At Fidalgo RV Resort, I was living there at the time, an injured, mature, female Red-tailed hawk was captured. This hawk was shot and was taken to a vet. The bird had to be put down. At Pioneer Trails RV Park, l was in the office chatting and sipping coffee when I heard a story. When I left, I went to investigate. I found the maintenance man and asked to see the carcass. The man dug through the trash and placed the hawk on the ground, chest up. It was a Peregrine Falcon and mature. This hawk broke its neck while stooping into a telephone wire. I have heard that Peregrines can stoop into ground and break their wing. About that hawk at the church. That hawk was leg-banded. l called in that number. And lastly, at Dececption Pass on a trail. Just a step or two off the trail is a boggy area. Just over head at about ten feet was a Barred Owl. One day, again I wished to see the owl. At my feet was the smashed wing of the owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment